Saturday, October 9, 2010

Black History Month in Oz! Er... Well sort of!

Hi everyone,

Seems like Black History Month is in full swing from what I've seen on facebook (the source of all knowledge!). All jokes aside, I guess I'm missing out on the talks and gigs in London this year. No prob though, I'm having my own BHM in Oz! See...


Yay I can canerow my hair all back, the short cut has well and truly grown out! ;)



Not perfect at the back, but hey, I couldn't see ;)


My lucky comb ;) Don't be deceived by (or laugh)
at the missing teeth, this comb can still do wonders ;)


















lol, well a change of hairstyle doesn't quite constitute a historical celebration, but it does open the door to the wonderland of identity. I'll be honest. I did have reservations about coming to Australia because of my colour. I've been lucky enough not to have experienced racism in my life, and saw this trip as the gateway to a potential first encounter. These thoughts clearly didn't stop me coming ;)


The Aussies I've encountered are lovely, from those at the supermarket to Bondi. I am however very aware that I am different from the majority. I tend to think the first thing Aussies notice is my complexion. But I'm not sure. The first thing anyone asks me upon hearing me speak is 'where are you from?' So I'm guessing they pick up on the accent. Their eyes then light up when I say London (LDN sounds a bit more trendy that England/UK ;)  ). I can't help but wonder whether they believe me or not, or whether they are going so say,'ok, you live there but where are you really from?' Only because that's how it works at home; and we all have a similar accent! People want to know where you're really from aka your heritage because newsflash*obviously black people don't come from England*. Having a thoroughly British accent doesn't cut it, nor does having a mauve passport. It's the skin. I sometimes feel like saying 'well actually my grandad was white, so there, I'm very much British if colour is the judge!' ;) Alas I never say that. I just say what everyone wants to hear. The black part. Ghanaian and Antiguan. I rarely go into the fractions unless further scrutiny and questions ensue, typically brought on by close inspection of the texture of my hair. Sorry guys, is this getting a bit uncomfortable? Don't feel uncomfortable reading this! It's because I know you are all wonderful, open minded and diverse that I feel I can share this with you ;) xx

Little anecdote to end. When I started nursery in Maidenhead (that's right, my existence has extended beyond Palmers G!) my Mumma was concerned. Noting that I was the only black child there she asked me, 'Sweetie, do they call you any names at nursery?' in a worried/loving tone. I replied in an equally emotional tone, 'yeees'. Her heart was racing. 'What do they call you luvvy?'
I replied, 'Shooolah'. ;)

Happy Black History Month xxx


3 comments:

  1. very insightful Shols... obviously we all have our own preconceptions of what we think people see (physically) when they meet us, but maybe as you said thats not the case all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so clever. It takes great skills to deliver those carerows at the best of times and on your own head - that's awesome. Good on you girl friend. Great link to BHM.
    Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ever consider writing a book or for a magazine? You should write a book .. "The life n trials of Shooolah!" about your stay in Oz.

    Your writing style is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete